About Me

My photo
New York, New York, United States
.Everything happens for a reason and when we least expect it. Not one to wait for things happen, I tend to push for what many call IMPOSSIBLE. I am the self published author of "Broken Promises Never Mend" which is currently on amazon.com. I am very proud of my accomplishment seeing as though I was told many times that I cant do it and also that I shouldnt do it. I go against the grain and can be a rebel of sorts. My intentions are good and I always usually win in the end. Not one to stay idle, Ive also been an entrepreneur and created gift baskets, scented candles and incense for many customers and have been blessed to even have gifted celebrity clients such as Nicole and Boris Kodjoe of Showtime's hit show "SOUL FOOD". I thank you for networking with me and God's Blessings! ~Essence M~

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

BEA WEEKEND Part 1


Earlier this month I was invited to attend the BEA which is the Book Expo America. I went with my editor Brandie Randolph of Editing Couture and Tamika Newhouse of Delphine Publications. Also in attendance was Q.B. Wells of Urbania Magazine and Ni'Cola Mitchell, of NCM Publications. Being around such great literary minds was overwhelming. Little did I know that was the tip of the iceberg. I walked into Jacob Javitz Convention Center like a kid in a candy store. After all, where ever books are, I am excited. Signs that I am a real reader and writer. We walked through the aisles trying to find where Tamika was slated to do her signing at 4pm. Upon arrival we see a big crowd and decide to follow it because quite frankly there were several brown faced people that looked like us. As luck would have it, it was exactly where we needed to be and I was in awe to see Author and Radio Personality Michael Baisden. He was there promoting his newest novel "Maintenance Man 2". Along side him was Heather Covington of Disilgold and ZANE............ yes ZANE....... the erotic author.


 While I got no pictures with Michael I was blessed to speak to Zane who may or may not have remembered me but despite that seemed very nice and we snapped a shot together. I am fortunate at this stage in my literary career to be able to connect with so many. The day was just beginning and Tamika had a successful signing. As I was about to walk away I saw my mentor and literary godmother, Best Selling Author Victoria Christopher Murray! Her and I had such a heart to heart, she had to lead me away because I was crying. Done messed up my make up and everything. LOL
She and I spoke about the literary community and what's expected of me and what I need to do in order to succeed. It was then that I was joined by Carol Hill Mackey of Black Expressions. YUP!! I got hugs and all that... Also Yvette Hayward was kind enough to join us and we all chatted it up about me along with other topics.. I was literally like a niece, or lil sis and all my aunties were giving me excellent advice. So here I was amongst literary greats and they all had my back. Its a wonder why I feel within my heart that I am where I am supposed to be. The evening can only get better........ stay tuned for the Black Pack Party later on............ ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment